Saturday, July 18, 2015

Sausage making, First attempt......Cumberland style sausage

I have decided to have a go at making sausages...as shop bought are just plain nasty!

Last month I bought a meat grinder/mincer from eBay with a 2000W motor so it was more likely to work than the 1200W ones available in supermarkets here in Bulgaria


Vegetarian sausage skins.....( vegetarian ones as they store at room temperature unlike stinky disgusting standard ones ), i got mine from Tongmaster on ebay , a real vegetarian sausage skin based on cellulose, 

*if you don`t want meat and want a veg sausage mix to fill I plan to add one as I eventually managed to make an `exact taste copy` of the old one I bought called `Sosmix` back in the 1980s and 1990s based on soya and it tastes good! I worked out the formula for a taste copy of the old Sosmix and the bacon flavor `Sizzles` mixes sold back then

But this is meat based Cumberland sausage


Assorted herbs and spices, nutmeg, ginger, white pepper, black pepper, marjoram,  mace ( delivered as all spice....so no good! I missed it out )



Meat from Kaufland, leg of pork, only used a bit so it would not be wasted if it all ended up inedible!




First step was to cut the meat up a bit, I left it in bits about 3 inch by 2 inch and 1.5 inch thick.....never used a mincer before but it looked like it would go in!



I minced it easily, added a half bread roll to push the meat out....decided to stir it in to add some bead to the meat....


Next was to add the spices, and salt to the mince, give it a quick mix round....and put it back in the hopper, Quantities....I sprinkled them on.....no measure at all


Then add the filling nozzle....diy home made with a piece of funnel inside to make it small enough for the only sausage skins they had in stock, I have now bought one from a DIY shop in StaraZagora....but used my modified one to see if it worked!


Add the skins to the nozzle and then extrude and fill the sausage.....



Discovered I need to hold the bit the sausage fills into to prevent a under filled sausage, then it was working fine.....added half of the bread roll to push out the last of the meat




Into the fridge with it....apart from a 6 inch piece that I had to cook to see it it was edible!



Into the pan with it.....



Coooooooking time........, cooked it slowly for 20 minutes





Looked like sausage....could have been a bit more cooked!

It tasted like Cumberland sausage as well......unlike any I have had from supermarkets in the UK.....I managed without even measuring the spices....

4 comments:

  1. So that's it, my journey with you has come to an end, are you still there? I've started a blog but I know that its hard to keep up and in the end many (like yours) seem to tail off. My blog is called Bulgarian Bits but its hard to find and not very informative at the moment. I hope to hear an update from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly the perfect spot for lounging & laughing with family & friends, and we are so blessed to have it and share it
    House Renovations in Bermondsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant job... now I may look to buy one. I am not sure I would have your vision for the brilliant kitchen changes or moving the windows etc. Congratulations!
    House Renovations in Stockwell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your post very much as it contains very useful information that helps in one's real life situations.
    House Renovations in Bermondsey

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I am always interested in feedback etc

About Me

My photo
I moved here to Bulgaria around 2012 after getting pd off with the UK! , Bulgaria is much quieter, looks better, less people, houses are better and affordable

Translate